Thread: UAE birding, beginning of May

UAE birding, beginning of May

Hello!

I plan to come to Dubai for a holiday in the beginning of May and would like to spend a few days birding. I have already studied the information on this website. Just wanted to seek you help re the most reliable sites for the following target speices for this time of the year

Persian Shearwater. Will it be possible to see it from Fujairah Port Beach?
    Flesh-footed Shearwater. Same as Persian Shearwater?
    Goliath Heron
    Socotra Cormorant. There are plenty of sites mentioned on the key species page. Which are the most reliable?
    Lappet-Faced Vulture
    Shikra
    Sooty Falcon
    Barbary Falcon. The Green Mubazzarah, the summit of Jebel Hafit?
    Cream-coloured Courser. Ghantoot Polo Club, Emirates Golf Club
    Crab Plover. Al Jazirah Khor?
    White-tailed Lapwing. Al Warsan Lakes?
    White-cheeked Tern
    Pharaoh Eagle Owl. I tried the Qarn Nazwa once, but there were dozens of buggies roaring around, there was no chance. Any other place or should I try Qarn Nazwa again?
    Pallid Swift
    Arabian Babbler. There are plenty of sites mentioned on the key species page
    Bar-tailed Lark, Sila'a Peninsula is mentioned as the best site. Any other place closer to Dubai?
    Clamorous Reed Warbler. Al Warsan Lakes?
    Sykesís Warbler. Khor Kalba is the only one I assume.
    Bank Myna
    Hooded Wheatear. Mecure Hotel, Green Mubazzarah
    Pale Rockfinch
    Long-billed Pipit. Masafi Wadi, Green Mubazzarah
    Striolated Bunting. Wadi Bih, Green Mubazzarah/Wadi Tarabat

Thank you!
    Alexey

Top Contributing Member
    hi Alexey,

See my comments below:

Persian Shearwater. Will it be possible to see it from Fujairah Port Beach? Yes, but increasingly difficult due to the expansion of the breakwaters
    Flesh-footed Shearwater. Same as Persian Shearwater? unlikely from shore and scarce on pelagic trips
    Goliath Heron Never recorded in UAE
    Socotra Cormorant. There are plenty of sites mentioned on the key species page. Which are the most reliable? Umm al Qawain beach & Fujairah Port Beach
    Lappet-Faced Vultur. Very rare outside the winter months. Desert areas around Al Qudra have been the only semi-reliable areas recently. Otherwise very rare
    Shikra Dubai Parks - Safa/Mamzar/Mushrif. increasingly seen on Abu Dhabi isalnd
    Sooty Falcon Very very unlikely. May is probably too early.
    Barbary Falcon. The Green Mubazzarah, the summit of Jebel Hafit These are the only likely areas, but extremely difficult to connect with.
    Cream-coloured Courser. Ghantoot Polo Club, Emirates Golf Club Best to try Ghantoot.
    Crab Plover. Al Jazirah Khor Very unlikely anywhere in May - they're on their breeding grounds.
    White-tailed Lapwing. Al Warsan Lakes? Yes
    White-cheeked Tern Fujairah Port Beach
    Pharaoh Eagle Owl. I tried the Qarn Nazwa once, but there were dozens of buggies roaring around, there was no chance. Any other place or should I try Qarn Nazwa again? This is the only regular and reliable site. The noise doesn't bother them. You just need to keep scanning and listening at dusk. Easy to miss.
    Pallid Swift Usually everywhere and nowhere in particular. Scarce from late May onwards.
    Arabian Babbler. There are plenty of sites mentioned on the key species page Mushrif Park is usually quite good for them
    Bar-tailed Lark, Sila'a Peninsula is mentioned as the best site. Any other place closer to Dubai? No. Not reliably recorded for several years now. Even Sila'a is not reliable - one or two records in 5 years
    Clamorous Reed Warbler. Al Warsan Lakes? Yes
    Sykes’s Warbler. Khor Kalba is the only one I assume. Yes, but almost impossible due to the limitations of access.
    Bank Myna Warsan lakes
    Hooded Wheatear. Mecure Hotel, Green Mubazzarah Yes
    Pale Rockfinch May is too late - they are an early sprikng migrant
    Long-billed Pipit. Masafi Wadi, Green Mubazzarah Yes
    Striolated Bunting. Wadi Bih, Green Mubazzarah/Wadi Tarabat ​Yes
    Mark

Thank you, Mark!

A couple of questions
    - Goliath Heron. Birds of Middle East by R. Porter et al. says that in UAE there's a feral population somewhere... Where is it?
    - Lappet-Faced Vulture. Do you mean the desert around Abu Dhabi?

Top Contributing Member
    1. The herons were a free-flying pair that nested at Al Ain zoo between 1993-95.
    2. The desert around Al Qudra is probably your best chance for LFV, though slim.
    Mark