Thread: Wamm Farms and back to Dubai - 10th December

Top Contributing Member

Wamm Farms and back to Dubai - 10th December

Not the worst dip in the world and I certainly suffered less than a few people this week, with a casual fog-free run over the farms this morning with Mark. The reason it was fog-free with that it was blowing a hoolie from the north west, which would have been great news in Donegal in August but eventually became a bit of a drag by about 1000 am over here. We had an ok mix of birds, including a flyover Black-throated Thrush right at the start and a good count of 23 Bimacs on the goat farm, plus the usual array of regulars, with Mipit and a few Pin-tailed Snipes maybe the most notable. There also was a really perplexing, cold and grey 'golden' plover in the cowpens that took up a lot of our time and we are still working on - worth a look if you are over.

The birds at Hamraniyah took some finding, being scattered and thin in general but we rounded up 3 Buff-bellied Pipits, two giving brill close up looks and a nice European Golden Plover.

We then finished at Ras al Khor (unexpectedly poor, few eagles but Shikra and Shelduck) and then Warsan (unexpectedly good; nice selection of ducks, including Garganey and two Eastern Greylags - only about the 11th record I've had in the UAE of this fine goose).

Over and out

Mark's Press Officer.
    Oscar Campbell

AD
    269 (269 Bay-backed Shrike, 1st December 2016; 268 Brambling 15th November 2016; 267 Eversmann's Redstart 13th November 2016)

Any update on the plover, guys? Worth panicking about?
    Tommy Pedersen
    UAE; 392 species - Litle Bunting 12 November 2016
    World; 4,358 - Grey-sided Thrush, Nanhui, Shanghai - 10 November 2016

Top Contributing Member
    Hi Tommy

I have not fully analysed the Wamm plover and not spoken to Mark about it since either - been on a school trip for 3 full days - but a few images are attached as the pdf. On wing length I am fairly sure it simply cannot be AGP but the tertials are certainly rather short for it to be PGP - perhaps as t3, the longest is not fully grown(?) It is also extremely grey - that may be due to bleaching of juv feathers although the entire set look pretty fresh and neat to me. Maybe the golden spangle on the lower scaps (which was symmetrical on both sides) is a fresh 1w feather that actually indicates the true colour but I cannot understand how a set of juv feathers that look so neat and unworn with regard to quality could have worn so grey and cold with regard to colour. I am not certain it is isn't actually EGP but the structure as we watched it pointed more towards a Lesser type, and the cap seems very dark, the forehead very pale and the tertial notches rather large - all of which would strike me as anomalous on EGP . I know some EGP are anomalously grey and it looks like from HK - Graham has been in touch with me re this - that the odd PGP is too.

As you will see from the above, I am still rather confused by this bird and would welcome any comments. I am also slightly traumatised as I thought I had GPs more or less cracked...

OSCAR
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Oscar Campbell

AD
    269 (269 Bay-backed Shrike, 1st December 2016; 268 Brambling 15th November 2016; 267 Eversmann's Redstart 13th November 2016)

Now THAT is an odd GP indeed. Thanks for sharing.
    Tommy Pedersen
    UAE; 392 species - Litle Bunting 12 November 2016
    World; 4,358 - Grey-sided Thrush, Nanhui, Shanghai - 10 November 2016