Thread: Birds of the Middle East (Arabic!) & UAE birding at the Emirates Literature Festival

Top Contributing Member

Birds of the Middle East (Arabic!) & UAE birding at the Emirates Literature Festival

Hi everyone

I am delighted to be able to flag a couple of very bird orientated events happening this coming weekend (10th - 11th) March at the currently ongoing Emirates Literature Festival. First and foremost, Richard Porter is in the UAE to launch the Arabic language version of his and Simon's definitive regional guide Birds of the Middle East. This will be happening on the Saturday morning, with a panel discussion involving Richard and a few (ir)regulars that you might have heard of: Click here for more details.

Whilst some of you would pay 75 AED listening to avoid having to listen the likes of me, if you are interested in coming along, I do have few tickets free to a worthy cause - let me know. First come, first served!

In addition, on the Friday Richard is giving a presentation on his work in the region - information about this can be found here.

Although not open to the public, Richard is also doing a guided nature walk for school children as part of the festival on Thursday morning at Al Qudra and, furthermore, Kevin Hyland, Richard and I are leading a bird-watching walk for festival authors to Ras al Khor on Saturday afternoon.

Other than that linked to above, I have not been able to find information about the Arabic version of Porter & Aspinall online (for example where it is available locally) but once I do I will post it on the forum. However, for starters, there will be plenty of copies available, signed by Richard, at the Festival! Hope to see some of you there!

cheers

OSCAR
    Oscar Campbell

AD
    269 (269 Bay-backed Shrike, 1st December 2016; 268 Brambling 15th November 2016; 267 Eversmann's Redstart 13th November 2016)

Top Contributing Member
    Huge congratulations to the four guys involved for delivering an entertaining and informative session to a near full-house audience yesterday. The incomparable Master of Ceremonies, Peter Hellyer, was the perfect anchor for an hour of discussion that began with Richard Porter presenting the launch of the Arabic edition of Birds of the Middle East and beginning a lively discussion on the benefits such a publication will bring through raising awareness of the birds of the Arabic-speaking region amongst the local populace and, hopefully, further promoting bird and wildlife conservation through education.

The hour passed all too quickly, with several members of the audience still wanting to pose questions to the panel as time was called on proceedings. It was really encouraging to see so many people attending and eager to learn more about birds and birding. However, as good as all the members of the panel were, they were completely upstaged by a young girl who posed a couple of questions. After Richard fielded her first question about how he became interested in birds and offered Oscar the chance to contribute to the second question, the house was well and truly brought down (and our esteemed Chairman left cut off at the knees) by her insistence that she only wanted to hear from Richard!

Later in the afternoon, a small but enthusiastic group of authors were treated to a visit to the inner sanctum of Ras al Khor Wildlife Sanctuary, courtesy of Kevin Hyland. Many of them had never been bird-watching before and left totally enthralled by the sight of soaring eagles, the bizarre bills of Eurasian Spoonbills and the grace and elegance of a really close flock of Greater Flamingos.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1626.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	27676Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1576.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	177.4 KB 
ID:	27677

Name:	IMG_1627.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	179.8 KB 
ID:	27675Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1568.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	143.4 KB 
ID:	27673

Name:	IMG_1636a.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	224.8 KB 
ID:	27674
    Last edited by MarkS; 12-03-2017 at 08:02 AM.
    Mark

Top Contributing Member
    Thanks to Mark for the above post and now that you have all finally seen me in them, you will realise that I am hardly any more plausible in trousers...

The official OSME blog carries some information about the book launch; thanks mainly to Peter and Rob for the text and wording of this: click here.

One final thing - Richard's 'Wars and Wildlife' talk, linked to in the first post and given on the Friday, was great as well and very well attended - the room was virtually full. I know as I made it up there in time!

OSCAR
    Oscar Campbell

AD
    269 (269 Bay-backed Shrike, 1st December 2016; 268 Brambling 15th November 2016; 267 Eversmann's Redstart 13th November 2016)