Thread: A few questions on sites in the UAE

A few questions on sites in the UAE

Hi all
    The long weekend is coming up and my wife and two little people are going away . This gives me an unprecedented four free days of birding and I plan to make the most of it and visit a lot of the key sites, especially on the east coast. However since I haven't visited these places I have a few questions:

Wamm Farms: I've read about the recent access troubles. Since I've never been before, do you think I will have problems? Is an Emirates ID sufficient to get in?

Wadi Wurrayah: Is it open to the public?

Khor Kalba mangroves: I understand that this area is out of bounds. Is there no way of seeing the Collared Kingfishers / Syke's Warblers?

Tim
    Tim Lloyd

World: 400 species (Asian Desert Warbler, Qasr Al Sarab, 18th Nov 2017)

Top Contributing Member
    Hi Tim, see my replies in bold below.

Wamm Farms: I've read about the recent access troubles. Since I've never been before, do you think I will have problems? Not if you follow the advice here.
    Is an Emirates ID sufficient to get in? Yes. Leave it at the gate and sign for it on the way out. Note that there is now also a signing in procedure for the Goat Farm too.

Wadi Wurrayah: Is it open to the public? Unfortunately not.

Khor Kalba mangroves: I understand that this area is out of bounds. Is there no way of seeing the Collared Kingfishers / Syke's Warblers? Only by standing by/on the bridge and getting lucky. Realistically, I wouldn't even dream about Sykes's Warbler, though you could check the trees on the roundabout, but you do have slim chances of the kingfisher.
    Last edited by MarkS; 26-11-2017 at 08:46 AM.
    Mark

Ok thanks Mark. Shame about Khor Kalba.
    Tim Lloyd

World: 400 species (Asian Desert Warbler, Qasr Al Sarab, 18th Nov 2017)

Last year, I got very lucky and managed to see a Collard Kingfisher at Khor kalba. It was at the corner of the Park closest to the Bridge at the roundabout. I was taken quite by surprise. So try your luck...